Mentorship for English Learners (MEL) aims to enhance the available social, emotional, and academic support students have access to when learning English, while retaining their native cultures. By matching current English learners with student mentors who wish to inspire their peers, no one will have to be alone in their journey to master English. The key objectives are:
- Serve as a student-level support network for both international students and local students at the University of Calgary;
- Provide leadership opportunities for students who wish to help fellow students in overcoming challenges associated with learning a new language and adapting to a new environment;
- Provide personalised peer support by pairing mentors with mentees such that the mentees can learn from the mentors’ experience and improve their English;
- Promote on- and off-campus academic and mental health resources available for members;
- Provide presentation practice, conversation practice, and language workshops for English learners on campus;
- Build a supportive and inclusive environment for international students and English learners through networking and social events; and
- Provide informal translation services for students needing assistance.